17 September 2016

Priorities


I like to make lists, especially lists of things that need to get done that day. I also like to prioritize my list and put the more important things at the top and the things that can wait a bit, at the bottom. I hardly ever get to finish everything on my list for the day because things will come up and disrupt my pace. For example, Aila might spill a cup of juice all over here and will need to get cleaned up, Taiki will need to be fed and put to sleep, or Reia might want to read 2 extra stories at bedtime. The things on my list usually get pushed back and added to the next day's list. I hardly get to finish everything on my list and feel like there are never enough hours in the day! 

Taiki's baby photoshoot at 4 months in a kimono
Near the beginning of this month when I was running errands and doing chores, I noticed how Reia or Aila would desperately try to get my attention while I am cooking or cleaning to show me how well they can act like a wiggily worm or will want me to look at something funny on tv. After a couple years of this, these kinds of things have become background noise and I am now slow to react or answer. I can't hear it very much anymore because I am so used to it. Well one day, I was folding the laundry and along comes Aila doing her wiggily worm, and after squirming around me for a while I stopped and asked myself, where on my list does is say to spend time with Aila today? Where does it say to spend time with Taiki? Or Reia? Or Jun? Where on my list are they? Near the top with the top priority tasks, or near the bottom with the tasks that get pushed over to the next day? I stopped what I was doing and gave my full attention to Aila. It felt different to when I play with Aila normally. This time she was a priority and I noticed and appreciated more things about her. I did the same with my other kids and husband too and knew that they need to be put on my list and at the top!

The girls loved getting dressed up and felt so pretty! Taiki looking sharp in his blue tux.

Spending time with each other on purpose should be on all of our daily lists! 

No comments:

Post a Comment