05 February 2016

Marriage is Ordained of God: Visiting Teaching February 2016

After reading the message and the question we are to ponder this month, "How am I individually and steadily striving to 'come unto Christ'?", a few thoughts came to mind. 

Lately, I have been trying to wake up early and start my Latter-Day Morning routine. A friend of mine wrote a book about starting everyday by waking up early and setting aside time to draw nearer to Christ and our Heavenly Father. He talks about his 10 step, tried and true routine in the book which is definitely worth checking out.  I am almost finished and so far, it has been a great eye-opener about what I should be focusing on and how I should be spending my time. I wake up at 6:30 now, pray with intention, really thinking about every word I say instead of repeating the same stuff, and then I study the scriptures, my patriarchal blessing, General Conference talks, or the visiting teaching message etc. for about an hour. I record my thoughts or impressions in a journal as I go along.
After that, I get the girls ready for the day and take Reia to her school bus!

I have only been doing this for about a week, but already I feel refreshed, full of purpose and feel like I have had my ME time for the day. Living in Japan means I attend a Japanese ward and all the classes are in Japanese. While my Japanese has gotten better, I can still only understand about 80% of the lessons and talks and it isn't always a deep understanding either. I wish I could jump into the discussions more or give my opinion about certain things, but my Japanese is limited, especially when it comes to church language. Because of this, I have felt my testimony come to a stand still over the years and my spiritual levels deplete. I have slowly been refilling that reservoir, but not fast enough. Having a Latter-day morning routine so far has really helped me strengthen my own testimony. I have the time, without any distractions, to really focus and reflect on the things I should be focusing on. It more importantly helps me to "come unto Christ" every day instead of just on Sundays.


I like how the marriage triangle is included in the message. This is something I learned from Elder S. Gifford Nielson of the Seventy at a fireside held in Auckland, New Zealand. I had always felt that my husband was miles ahead of me in terms of gospel knowledge. He had served a mission and had so much more experience than me. I realised during that fireside that I needed to do my part and do my own study to meet him half way. I learnt that when I study and draw nearer to Christ, I also draw nearer to my husband. 

This morning during personal study, I was wondering what it must be like to have the spirit abide with me always and to receive personal revelation on a regular basis. It must be awesome to have that much clarity, guidance, peace and knowledge! In order to have that blessing, I know I need to make some changes in my life and simplify a few things. I definitely need to listen more.

Over the course of a week of personal study, I have already noticed a big difference between my  husband and I. It was never bad before, but now when we talk, gospel topics will naturally come up in conversation and we get excited about discussing these things together. It's kinda fun to get excited about the scriptures together and to help each other out with things we don't understand etc. 

I still have a long way to go, but I am excited about the blessings that come with coming unto Christ.

As a handout for this month, I made this simple tag and just clipped it on to a small packet of Doritos. It is also laminated to stick on the fridge or in your scripture bag afterwards.



Nothing fancy. Just simple, fun and tasty ^_^

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for the handout. It's perfect for me and the ladies I visit teach.

    Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Thanks for stopping by ^_^

      Delete
  2. Hi Dani - That was an awesome piece you wrote. Speaking of your testimony. This article is a beautiful testimony. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You should become a writer. Gob Bless you and your beautiful family. - James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James! Thank you for your kind comments, as always :) And yes we are safe here in Tokyo! Thank you for your concern!

      Delete
  3. Dani- read about the terrible earthquake. Hope all is well with you and your family.
    - James

    ReplyDelete