06 June 2014

Japanese Chocolate Chip Cookies


I know, I know, I made cookies yesterday...

My sweet tooth has been out of control lately! It's another rainy day today and with the girls asleep and my tummy rumbling, cookies were naturally the solution to all my problems.

Now these aren't any kind of cookie, these are my FAVOURITE cookies in the whole wide WORLD!!! They aren't too sweet and are soft, thick and chewy. The only problem is that they are only my favourite when my Japanese friend makes them. When I make them they are ...meh. Still yummy! But meh compared to hers. Nevertheless, I made these ones today in an attempt to finally replicate them! I was almost successful but fell short somewhere... The recipe is all in Japanese so maybe that's why. Even though they weren't as amazing as my friends, I decided I needed to blog about them so that I wouldn't have to always re-translate the recipe in my mind. And hopefully I will be able to make them just as well as my friend does one day ~(^◇^)/

I had to really use self control eating these. The recipe makes 9 and I eeeeeasily ate 6 until I realized my treasures were almost gone. I was at a dilemma. I only had 3 left! Do I save some for Reia and Jun? Or do I eat them all and clean up evidence that they ever existed? Hmmm... the latter sounded very appealing... but I could hear my thighs screaming "Nooooo!" so I sealed them in a ziplock bag and put them out of sight.

Now like I said, the recipe is in Japanese so I am going to attempt to translate it! This is a copycat recipe for Country Ma'am cookies which you can find just about anywhere in Japan. They are small soft cookies that come in a whole bunch of flavours with the most common being Vanilla and Cocoa. Other flavours I have seen are Strawberry, Apple Pie, and Almond Donut. Some of the weirder ones are Sesame Seed, Green Tea, and Corn Soup. Blehh!


______________________________________


Country Ma'am Cookies


70g chocolate chips
50g butter (room temp)
30g brown sugar
30g white sugar
15g honey
1 egg yolk
110g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
10 drops of vanilla essence
9 aluminum cup cake liners
Kitchen scale (lifesaver when it comes to Japanese recipes as everything is in grams)

1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Get out your aluminum liners and have them separated and ready on your baking tray. Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl.

2. Whip butter with a whisk in a large separate bowl until light and fluffy. Add in the white sugar, brown sugar and honey. Mix until the grittiness from the sugar disappears. 

3. Add the egg yolk and vanilla essence. Mix.

4. Change to a rubber spatula and add the sifted flour and baking powder. Mix by scraping the sides of the bowl, folding and pressing the two mixtures together as you go.

5. When it forms a dough, fold in the chocolate chips. 

6. Divide the mixture equally into 9 parts and put into liners. Each should weigh about 35g each (use your scale). 

7. Roll each cookie between your hands to make them round. Flatten the tops a little with a fork to make thick disk shapes.

8. Bake for 12 minutes.

9. They should still be soft and light brown when they come of the oven. When they are completely cool, you can take them out of their cup cake liners. If you are too hasty like me, they will fall apart and crumble in your hot little hands!

______________________________________




And that, my friends, is how you make a good Japanese Chocolate Chip Cookie!

You're welcome!

*Update* Jun came home late that night so I ended up eating the remaining cookies lol FAIL 

No comments:

Post a Comment