13 June 2014

Peanut Butter Hummus


I have wanted to make hummus for a long time but have never had that strange ingredient tahini, which is sesame paste. I have never seen this before and wouldn't know where to start looking for it in Japan! The other day, I had another craving for some hummus but knew I couldn't make it without that darn tahini. Or could I?

Enter peanut butter! The common pantry item which substitutes amazingly for tahini. You seriously can't tell the difference. Chunky or smooth would work here. If your into a bit more texture, go for the crunchy peanut butter. If you want a smoother dip, go for creamy/smooth peanut butter. I used Skippy's Creamy Peanut Butter as that's what I had.

There are a whole bunch of recipes out there but really, you don't need cups and spoons. Just your taste buds. Actually, after reading through a couple, I found that some people don't even use tahini lol. Guess I have been waiting for nothing! But anyway...

I used two 380 tins of chick peas and eyeballed the rest.

______________________________________

Peanut Butter Hummus

2 tins of chick peas, drained and rinsed
6 Tbs peanut butter
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ground cumin powder
2 Tbs olive oil
water to desired consistency
salt and pepper

Blend all together and enjoy with veges or flat bread.
______________________________________


I used a blender for this. Wrong choice! It got all stuck down the bottom from lack of liquid. A hand mixer worked so much better and gave me more control over the consistency. Also, I found that it needed a lot more water than I expected. I kept on adding more until it became smooth. I ended up adding a lot more than 2 Tbs of olive oil too. It just depends on what you are after.

You could also add lemon or lime juice, herbs, spices, cheese,  pesto, avocado, chili, sun dried tomatoes, olives, or yogurt. Anything really! 

I love the idea of adding cheese or sun dried tomatoes. Might have to try that next!

No comments:

Post a Comment