12 June 2014

2 Egg White Pavlova


After being on a cookie making rampage the last couple of days, I was left with some unused egg whites. Usually I stick these in a small container in the fridge with the intent to use them later, but I never do and just end up throwing them away. Sound familiar? This time however, with a lot of persuasion from Reia, I decided to make a pavlova! 

A pavlova is a meringue dessert topped with fresh cream and fruit and is one of our national treasures as a dessert in New Zealand! Sorry Aussies, but it's true.

The first ever pav I made by myself was seriously a thing of beauty. It was crispy on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside, just like a pavlova should be. It was tall and round and didnt crack or crumble anywhere. When I finished putting the last pieces of fruit on it I thought to myself, "Well that wasn't so hard!" It must have been beginners luck because I have not for the life of me been able to pull it off again! The pavs that followed were always flat, hollow, or thin looking. Still tasted pretty good but they weren't that heavenly piled meringue that I wanted. 

With this pav that I made today, I only had 2 egg whites and knew it would be a small wee thing. I tried a new recipe that called for 4T of boiling water which was new to me. It was a no-fuss, one-bowl type recipe. It started off looking amazing in the oven, but as it cooled it sunk into a miniature little thing. I guess that was to be expected. It didn't have a crisp outer shell, but it did have a lot of soft marshmallowiness going on! It was actually quite delicious! I decided to blog about it to remind myself what I can do with left over egg whites so bear with me.

______________________________________


2 Egg White Pavlova

2 egg whites
1 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vinegar
4 Tbs boiling water

Pre-heat oven to 180°C and prepare tray with foil or baking paper.
Place all ingredients into a bowl and whisk for 15 minutes.
Spread mixture onto tray into a circle.
Bake for 10 minutes at 180°C and then 45 minutes at 150°C.
Cool in the oven completely and top with cream and fruit.

______________________________________




Pretty easy recipe but it cuts some corners. Also, a lot of liquid oozed from the pav which might have been from over whipping. I didn't mind though because it gave it a caramelly self-saucing effect which was kinda cool. The result was a small, very soft and smooth pavlova. It tasted pretty good! I topped it with fresh cream and cherries. I didn't have time to think about presentation as my guests that morning were just about ready to leave when I remembered that I had it! Dolloped on the cream, chucked on the cherries and it was good to go. They thought it was delicious which was good enough for me. DH also gave it his tick of approval :)

This recipe is good for those odd left over egg whites that you want to get rid of but probably not something you would use for a gathering or pot luck. They say not to put your pav in the fridge, but this one was fine as it didn't have a crust. It actually improved the taste as it got to soak in a bit more of that oozy caramel goodness.

Next time I will attempt at making a Japanese roll cake that was highly recommended to me by my Japanese friend! She said you can't go wrong with it. It will be a first for me making a roll cake so hopefully she is right!

No comments:

Post a Comment