05 June 2014

Apricot Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have been having a real craving for cookies for a long time now. But whenever that "pang" would strike, I would never have all the right ingredients. Sugar but no butter. Chocolate but no eggs. It's probably a good thing I didn't! Today, however, I had all the ingredients I needed to make cookies! I may or may not have been hoarding these ingredients, waiting for that special moment I could sink my teeth into a warm, homemade cookie...

My cookie of choice was one that would take me back to the taste of my home land, New Zealand. One that would appease my hunger for a Cookie Time cookie. One that I have been dying to try out for a long time now. It was none other than .........(drumroll please)......... the Apricot and Chocolate Chip Cookie! If you are anything like my Japanese friends, then you probably haven't heard of these before. I have had a craving for cookies with dried apricots in them ever since my friends and I started discussing dried fruits in Japan. There are so many here! They have dried kiwi fruit, mango, pineapple, even melon! When my friends came to visit me, they brought a plethora for me to try. I was not a big fan of the pineapple or mango but the kiwi fruit and melon were surprisingly good! I guess I should say that I was not a big fan of dried fruits to begin with. When my friends and I were discussing our favourites, I told them that if I had to choose, I would probably say dried apricots. They gave me a bewildered look that said Dried apri-whats? Needless to say, they had never had them before. Come on fellow kiwis! If you are from NZ, what is the first dried fruit that comes to mind apart from raisins, prunes and dates? Apricots, no? I would think with our Cookie Time Apricot Bumper Bars being pretty popular that dried apricots were quite common in cookies and things... but I digress. 

After my friends left my house, I started doing the laundry only to hear the doorbell go off. It was one of my friends who had returned to give me a packet of dried apricots that she had just found at the shop across the street! Finally, I had everything I needed! How did she know?? I opened the bag to have a taste and I can say that yes, whole dried apricots are definitely my fav.

Side note: I had to go back to the store to buy another pack because the first packet was mysteriously eaten by a certain someone who shall not be named. Lol.

This recipe comes from kiwifamilies.co.nz I have never heard of this site before, but after a quick peruse, it looks like it has a lot of good information and ideas for families! *Subscribes*


The recipe is as follows:

______________________________________


Apricot and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yields 16

100g butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/1/2 cups plain flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup milk or dark choc bits
½ cup dried apricots, diced

1. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat well.

2. Sift in flour and baking powder and combine with a wooden spoon. Stir in the chocolate chips and apricots.

3. Place tablespoons onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and press down with a fork to flatten. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Leave to cool.

______________________________________


Quite a simple recipe to follow and the results were soft scrumptious cookies. Great with a tall glass of milk! Next time (yes, next time!) I would like to make an oatmeal version. MmmmMmmmm! I would also suggest to make sure to chop up the apricots to the same size at the choco chips.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. OMG dani those look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nea! They were pretty darn tasty ^____^
      Can't wait to see pics of baby girl!!! Not long now aye! I hope you post your birth story so I can read and relive the memories ha ha ha not! Excited for you xoxox

      Delete