30 January 2012

DIY Soft Toy

I had an old bath mat in the cupboard that I didn't know what to do with. It was pink and really tiny and didn't function well enough to be called a bath mat. Plus it was only a dollar so no real waste there. I can't remember where I saw the idea, but it was on someones blog and they had made a plushie sun out of towel fabric. The idea came to mind when I was trying to figure out what to do with the mat. So I took out my scissors and cut it up! Again, this was all sewn by hand which was much harder than usual because the material was thicker! My ribbon came out so uneven lol and I pricked myself numerous times, but it can be done! 

You will need:
fabric
ribbon
needle and thread
stuffing
puffy paint
Optional: bells

I started by tracing a CD to get a perfect circle. I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, but that's what I did. I also bound two pencils together with rubber bands for the seam allowance. Not that it really mattered. I just really wanted to try it hahaha. Idea from Pinterest ;)

Cut them out.

 Get your ribbons and cut them up to the lengths you want. Also get 2 or 3 bells ready to stuff inside.

Fold the ribbons in half and pin them to the fabric (which should be right way up) with the loop ends facing the center of the circle. 

Place the second circle on top of the first with the back facing up.
Sew around the edge as tightly as you can, making sure to get the ribbon too. Leave a gap open about 1-2 inches long. You will have to take a piece of ribbon out and sew that in later.

Trim the edges if you want. 

Flip it inside out. Half stuff with stuffing, put the bells in the middle, fill in the rest and sew up hole. Remember to also sew in the last piece of ribbon! You'll have to do it backwards but it's easy enough. (I forgot to put the bells into mine hahaha and I couldn't be bothered unpicking it!)

Draw a face with puffy paint! It's non-toxic so it's OK.
And you are done!

Trying to suss out what it is...

 Nom nom nom

^_____^

I guess this could be used to practice picking things up because of all the long tags..? If I could do this again, I would probably make the tags shorter though and cut out the center and turn it into a ring so it is easier to grab. 
Still learning! ^_^

4 comments:

  1. dani! That is a great idea to make the cute toy! Kids love all the tags, right??? I want to make it for my babies^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you so should! yeah i think the tags are good because they are easy to grab! and you have a sewing machine right? so it'll be way easy ^___^

      Delete
  2. i luv the 3rd to last pic - she's looking at it like "what is it?" then she tastes it . . . and likes it!!! made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete