06 December 2011

Motherhood: The Newbies Perspective

So it's been 4 months since I became a Mum and I cant even remember what it was like before I had Reia. It feels like she has been around forever!

Another thing that amazes me is the amount of physical and emotional change that your body goes through within the first few months of a baby's arrival. Not to mention the 9 months before.
I gained about 14kgs during my pregnancy and have lost 10 since then. Not bad for someone who doesn't exercise! Now I just have to shed the final 4 (and hopefully a few more for good measure) to be back to where I started. If only I could lose weight just as fast when I'm not breast feeding :)

The emotional roller coaster that I hopped on 4 months ago seems to be slowing down and laying off the loopy spins. I remember when Reia was about 2 weeks old, I hadn't slept a wink and was running purely on adrenaline. She started crying and I had zero energy left. It all finally got to me and I just started to ball my eyes out. I remember feeling so sorry for myself and thinking "Oh my gosh, this is how the rest of my life is going to be!" and just broke down. I was just so physically and emotionally drained. My parents quickly swooped in and rescued me by baby sitting for a couple of hours so I was able to get a solid 6 hour sleep. Do NOT underestimate the power of sleep! Sometimes that's all you need.


She is much more independent now and only wakes up once during the night. She only cries when hungry or sleepy, and more recently when I leave the room, but apart from that, she's golden!

And yes, this is how the rest of my life will be and I can't imagine it any other way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment