21 December 2011

DIY Hand Print Ornament

I have been in love with a certain hand print ornament for weeks now. It was on last weeks Pinteresting Friday post. I couldn't wait to make it but I had a major set back. I couldn't find any glass baubles anywhere! Only online from America, but by the time they would have arrived, it would have been 2012 already :( So I took one of the plastic baubles from my Christmas tree so test it out and was quite pleased with the results :D

To do this you will need:
A bauble (preferably clear glass)
Embossing ink
Embossing powder
Heat gun
Ribbon

1. Prep your child! Have wet wipes on hand and newspaper for the floor to catch the excess glitter


2. Stamp your child's hand onto the embossing ink pad. Get it nice and inky! 


3. Carefully stamp child's hand onto bauble. 
When I say carefully, I mean watch out that your Dear Baby doesn't decide to scrunch her fingers into a fist at the last second! My first attempt ended up looking like a blob >_< 
(No photo for this as unfortunately I don't have 3 arms lol)


4. Dust the freshly stamped print with embossing glitter. 
Make sure to pack it on and get all the stamped spots!


 5. Tap off the excess glitter and clean up the edges with a q-tip.
Wipe the remainder of the bauble with a wet wipe. 
Make sure that it's clean before you use the heat gun or you will have a speckled bauble.


6. Use the heat gun to seal the powder onto the bauble.
It will end up melting, leaving a nice finish.
It's important that you try disperse the heat evenly and not concentrate on one spot for too long.
If you don't, your bauble will melt too!
This is why it might be better to use glass. But if you heat it carefully, plastic works too.


Attach a ribbon and hang it up every year to remember how tiny those hands once were:)



Dani

7 comments:

  1. I love this!!! I can't wait to have my own kiddies to do this for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute aye! So annoying that Japan doesn't sell glass ones >__<
    Your bubbas are going to be CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found an opaque ornament (still plastic)but it may work. but wow u figured it out and such a good print too. was reia asleep or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No she was awake but calm and not a monster like when I did her prints with that black ink lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. how is the baby i miss you guys can you come and vista us in hughson ca please my address 1905 Fox GlenDr hughson ca 95326

    ReplyDelete
  6. how is the baby i miss you guys can you come and vista us in hughson ca please my address 1905 Fox GlenDr hughson ca 95326

    ReplyDelete
  7. suuure...! your name hasn't showed up anywhere so I'm not sure who you are though:/

    ReplyDelete